HISTORY

In the year 1911 two Cups were presented by the Captains of Sundridge Park Golf Club for Annual Competition by Captains of London Golf Clubs - one for a Medal round and the other for a Bogey round - and the first Competition was held on the links of the Sundridge Park Golf Club on Saturday. September 23rd, 1911. In the evening, after the Competition, a short conference was held, with Mr. F.W. Beck, then Captain of Sundridge Park GC., in the chair. Representatives were present from the following 26 London Clubs: Sundridge Park, Bellingham, Banstead Downs, Chislehurst, Sidcup, Eltham, Royal Blackheath, Brent Valley, Belmont Park, Romford. Eltham Warren, Bromley and Bickley, Muswell Hill, Wanstead Park, Shooters Hill, Thames Ditton, Molesey Hurst, Elmstead, Home Park, Honor Oak, Royal Mid-Surrey, Acton, Wimbledon Town, Park Langley, Neasden, and Fulwell.

It was decided at this meeting to make the Competition an annual one.

Prior to 1923 no well-defined regulations had been adopted in convening the meetings or in deciding what Captains should be invited to compete, but during the Competition held at the Molesey Hurst Golf Club in October of that year it was decided by the Captains then present that Competitions should be properly organised to ensure their regularity and continuity. The Society of London Golf Captains was therefore formed and the donors of the two Captains' Cups approved their transfer to the Society, and rules and regulations for the organisation of the Society were made and adopted by a General Meeting called for the purpose, and held on October 18th, 1923, at the Engineers' Club, London, to which the Captains of 84 Golf Clubs situated in and near London were invited.

To ensure continuity of membership, the Society now comprises Captains and ex-Captains of London Golf Clubs and two Challenge Cups were, in 1924, presented by the first Committee of the Society and the Molesey Hurst Golf Club for competition by ex-Captains of London Golf Clubs.

The further Challenge Cups, for competition by both Captains and ex-Captains, were presented to the Society in 1932. Two of the Cups were presented by Mr. W. Parker for four-ball Bogey Competition, and one by Mr. W.R. Ponting for Medal play. A Coronation Cup was presented to the Society in 1937 by Mr. S.F. Wood.

In 1948 Mr. J. Henderson presented two trophies for foursome competition.

The Robert Taylor Trophy was presented in 1960 by Mr. Seymour Taylor in memory of his father, the Society's first President.

The President also presents prizes at the concluding fixture and the Captain presents prizes at his meeting.

H.R.H. the Prince of Wales accepted the office of Patron of the Society in 1935 and in 1936, on accession to the Throne as King Edward VIII, continued his Patronage. In 1937 H.M. King George VI graciously accepted the office of Patron.

The Swannell Salver was presented in 1973 by the Captains of Muswell Hill Golf Club in honour of Mr. Charles M. Swannell and to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of his Captaincy of the Club and his becoming a member of the Society.

The W.J. Dearman Cup for members over 70 years was presented in 1981.

The Victor Ludorum Trophy for the best aggregate score over the three days of the Autumn Tour was presented in 2000 by the family of the late George F. Yendell in his memory.

 In 2011 the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrew's presented the Society with a silver salver to mark the Society's centenary. This is awarded annually to the player with the best aggregate score over the four members days.